GP partners Adelaide
A Not For Profit Company Limited by Guarantee
What is GP partners Adelaide?
GP partners Adelaide is a registered Not for Profit company, originally registered on 25th of October 1994 under Division 1 of Part 2.2 of the Corporations Law.
The company is limited by guarantee. The Australian Company Number 066 926 047.
The assets and income of the company must be applied solely in furtherance of its objects and no portion may be distributed directly or indirectly to the members.
GP partners Adelaide supports its members in
- Promoting of general practice as the major focus of primary health care and as the prime entity for the delivery of effective integrated health services for individuals and families;
- Facilitating and improving liaison and association between General Practitioners and all relevant parties in the health system;
- Maintaining the professional autonomy of Members;
- Ensuring the involvement of General Practitioners in local and national health system policy, planning implementation and evaluation,;
- Facilitating research by General Practitioners, particularly scientifically based evaluation of community medicine;
- Enhancing educational and professional opportunities for Members, and
- Maintaining a funding base sufficient to further its objects.
through what is now known as the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing, to provide support to General Practice at the local level.
GP partners Adelaide members have historically been draw from practices in the Adelaide Central Business District, the immediate Southern Suburbs and the Eastern Suburbs of Adelaide.
A few notable features of this area are:
- At the 2006 Census the population of the area was 182,500.
- 45% of all professional services provided by General Practitioners in the area are for patients who reside outside the area. One factor contributing to this relatively high proportion is the large number of people coming into the region during the day to work (particularly in the city centre), some of whom use GPs who are members of GP partners Adelaide.
- 54 Nursing Homes providing 2923 beds are located in the service area; the largest nursing home bed supply for aged care in the Adelaide metropolitan area.
- The Adelaide CBD is located within the GP members service area.
- Also located within the area are the majority of private secondary schools, the University of Adelaide, the Medical School, and the University of SA – City East and West Campus.
- The Nunkuwarrin Yunti Aboriginal Health Service, the Royal Adelaide Hospital, the Adelaide Women’s and Children’s Hospital, the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, the Adelaide Dental Hospital, Glenside Hospital and the majority of private hospitals are also located within the area.
As a membership based organisation. The Constitution permits 2 classes of members; Primary and Associate. Primary members have full membership rights including the right to attend and vote at general meetings. A Primary member must be a GP practicing or have a special interest in the GP partners and its aims and objectives. Associate membership is open to any person who wishes to support the aims and objectives of GP partners Adelaide
Board of Directors is comprised of nine Directors; 7 primary members elected by the GP members and 2 associate members appointed by the Board.
The day to day management is the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer.
To build better health and well-being for all through leadership in the coordination and support to the provision of effective General Practice and community health services.
We will achieve this by:
- Building primary health care capacity;
- Developing primary health care infrastructure;
- Contributing to primary health care policy;
- Improving patient care and promoting health; and,
- Promoting best practice through excellence in leadership and accountability.
GP partners Adelaide is guided by the following values:
- We put our General Practice community first;
- We achieve through teamwork, partnerships and sharing of knowledge;
- We value respect and integrity;
- We recognise tradition but embrace change;
- We represent, support, and celebrate the diversity of general practice, and
- We strive for innovation and excellence.
Strategic Direction One - Population Health Program service delivery excellence
“To successfully provide an appropriate program of quality population health focused services, responsive to the enduring needs of General Practitioners, the health status of the service population and emerging government policy directions”.
Strategic Direction Two - General Practitioner and Associate Member services
“To develop and maintain mutually beneficial and collaborative relationships with General Practitioner and Associate members to add value to all members and strengthen the profile and image of GP partners Adelaide”.
Strategic Direction Three - Effective leadership and sustainability
“To apply contemporary good governance and organisational management practice to enhance the reputation of GP partners Adelaide and ensure its long term financial viability”.